Skip Sub Menu

Student Resources

Board of Pharmacy Internship Information

The National Boards of Pharmacy (NABP)
The National Boards of Pharmacy web site lists all board of pharmacy web sites.  Click on the Board of Pharmacy - United States link.  The College requires licensure in Iowa and any state where P4 rotations will be occurring.

The Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners (IBPE)
Iowa Board of Pharmacy Regulations require that every pharmacy student shall register before beginning their internship, but not before commencement of their first semester in a recognized college of pharmacy.  Three items must be submitted to the Board of Pharmacy:
1.  Board of Pharmacy Application Form
2.  Certificate of Eligibility (sent by the College to the Board with the commencement of the first semester of enrollment; questions may be directed to Beth Hudson)
3.  Application Fee

Iowa Board of Pharmacy - Pharmacist-Intern Web Site

Process to obtain internship license in Iowa:

  1. Go to Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners website:
  2. Click on the Pharmacist Interns button
  3. Complete the Internship form. The "date internship will begin" question can be left blank.  
  4. Note that alcohol and drug charge information is requested.  If a student has an alcohol or drug charge, submit a separate letter of explanation with the application.
  5. Internship application should be mailed along with a fee (a check for $30.00).
  6. The College submits the Certificate of Eligibility when a student has reached eligibility.
  7. Board reviews the application; sends out the internship license number and packet. Note that this takes up to a month so make sure that the application is sent to the Board at least two weeks in advance.
  8. Board mails information to the student: registration number, documents and information regarding the internship.

Process to obtain internship license in other states:

When to count the hours in Iowa:  

  • Planning pharmacy licensure in Iowa
  • Completing internship hours in Illinois (no process to keep record of internship hours)
  • Not sure where pharmacy licensure will be obtained. Note that the hours on file with Iowa can be transferred to other states at the point of pharmacist licensure.

Iowa can only transfer Iowa accredited intern training hours and academic credit hours (awarded at graduation). If internship hours have been obtained out of state, the student will need to contact that state and request to have their hours transferred to the state the student is seeking licensure.   -- If completing hours out of state and claiming them in Iowa, have to be an intern in that state and meet that state's internship requirements (note that some states require one semester/year of the professional program be completed prior to licensure).

When student is ready to graduate, student will need to contact that state and request a letter be mailed to the Iowa board confirming their registration as an intern, number of hours on file and that they have met all the requirements of that board. Obtaining your Pharmacist's License

Visit the APhA web site to read an overview of the process for obtaining your license.

Obtaining your Pharmacist's License

  • Visit the APhA web site to read an overview of the process for obtaining your license.

Click here to return to CPHS Student Resources

CPHS Events
  • CPHS Doctoral Hooding and Commencement Ceremony
    May 19 | 3:00 PM
    Knapp Center
    Pre-reception in Shivers Center
  • Undergraduate Commencement
    May 20 | 10:00 AM
    Knapp Center
  • OTD White Coat Ceremony
    Aug. 17 | 1:00 PM
    Olmsted Parents Hall
    Reception following in OT Building
  • PharmD White Coat Ceremony
    Aug. 24 | 4:00 PM
    Old Main Sheslow Auditorium
    Reception following in Levitt Hall


May 3, 2018
A team of Drake and DMU students won the 2018 CLARION National Case Competition, held April 14 at the University of Minnesota.