Course Equivalency Guides
Each document below provides information in three sections:
- Course recommendations by the undergraduate colleges and schools at Drake;
- Summary of courses satisfying the Drake Curriculum (general education or core requirements); and
- Course-by-course comparisons.
In the course-by-course section, the following designations are used:
- EQUIVALENT COURSE—a specific Drake course number will appear when a course is considered to be similar in content to a specific Drake course. For example: ANTH 2 may be used to cite an equivalent course in cultural anthropology.
- ELECTIVE—college transfer credit is granted; the course content is recognized as a college-level, however there is no direct equivalent at Drake. A course in this category may be used to fulfill required or elective course requirements as the college or school representative deems appropriate.
- CAREER- or VOC-TECH—the course is part of a career- or vocational-technical program. A maximum of 16 semester hours of career- or vocational-technical credit may be granted by the college or school representative.
- NO CREDIT—the course does not transfer to Drake University. Typically, courses with this designation are developmental in nature.
- WITH VALIDATION—some courses may have limited application to specific equivalent courses taught at Drake as upper-division within the College of Business and Public Administration. A student must validate the course credit earned from another institution to demonstrate acquisition of knowledge. Three methods are used for validation: passing a higher level course at Drake within the same department, Challenge Testing, and CLEP examinations, when appropriate.
If your school is not listed below, use the DMACC guide as comparison for similar courses at your institution.
Note: These transfer of credit guides provide information on how courses offered by another institution correspond to courses offered at Drake University. Representatives from each undergraduate College and School determine how each course will apply toward your specific major and degree program at Drake.
Official transfer of credit evaluations are prepared automatically for students immediately following admission.