Full-Time Student Status

The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) requires all Drake international students to be enrolled full time and make satisfactory progress toward graduation.

To be a full time student, you must enroll in:
•a full-time ESL program
•a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits, or 12 PharmD credits
•a minimum of nine graduate or law credits 
•an equivalent combination of ESL, undergraduate and graduate courses.

In limited circumstances (for example, serious health problems) a reduced load may be allowed by BCIS, but this requires approval by the Foreign Student Advisor prior to dropping below full-time status. Various combinations of English as a Second Language, graduate and undergraduate courses are also possible with prior permission of the Foreign Student Advisor. 

It is your responsibility to be sure your course combinations are equivalent to full time status. The International Center will be happy to help you and your adviser evaluate your status so you can be sure you are not violating BCIS regulations.

Working in US

F-1 Students

The US Department of Homeland Security has strict regulations regarding off-campus work for F-1 Students.  F-1 students are only allowed to work off campus if they are authorized for

-       Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or

-       Optional Practical Training (OPT). 


What is CPT?

CPT is a legal work authorization for degree-seeking F-1 students.  The work (whether an internship, rotation, or other employment) must meet three criteria.  It must be:

A) “an integral part of an established curriculum,”


B) “directly related to the student's major field of study.”  (Work related to a student’s minor, concentration, or certificate is not eligible for CPT authorization.)


C) completed prior to completing degree requirements.

 DHS says that “An integral part of an established curriculum” means the work must either “be required by the curriculum or, if not required, the student must receive credit for the training.”  For Drake students this means the work experience must be:

1. required of all students in your major, minor, certificate or concentration.


2. accepted within your field of study or track as an approved way of meeting one or more of your curricular requirements.


3.  accepted and evaluated for credit toward your degree.  (If the credits earned are elective credits, they cannot be in excess of what is accepted toward earning your degree.)

Student Eligibility for CPT

Student are eligible to apply for CPT when:

- They have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student at a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approved school for one full academic year.  


- They are enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate program that requires immediate CPT



    1.  Seek and obtain an offer for employment directly related to you major        

    2.  Provide your academic advisor with a description of the job duties you will be asked to perform and the following form letter:  Academic Advisor CPT Support Form  

    3.  Submit the letter and job duties description, along with the Academic Advisor CPT Support Form    to the International Center at least one week prior to your potential start date. 

    4.  Obtain an updated I20 from the International Center showing your CPT authorization.  Your new I-20 will be ready no later than one work-day before you begin work.

    5.  Present the updated I-20 to your employer PRIOR to starting work.  DO NOT WORK for the employer prior to the start date or without having presented the updated I20. 

PLEASE NOTE:  CPT authorization is for one term only.  To continue working, even for the same employer, you must fill out a new CPT request for each semester.

Note: Sometimes even unpaid work experiences must be authorized as CPT.

Unpaid work must be authorized as CPT if it is for the purpose of gaining practical training related to your major, for example:

  • Pharmacy Rotations
  • Student Teaching
  • Unpaid internships
  • Some Independent Studies that are based on volunteer hours.

 Working without proper authorization carries serious, long-term consequences.  Please call 515-271-2084 to make an appointment with a Foreign Student Adviser before engaging in any paid or unpaid work. 



Unpaid volunteer work for a company may or may not constitute an experience that should be approved as CPT.   Please consider the following when determining if you need to apply for CPT and if you are unsure after reading these guidelines, please make an appointment to speak with a Foreign Student Advisor at Drake International: x2084

Volunteer work that does NOT constitute CPT:  Volunteering refers to donating time with an organization whose primary purpose is charitable or humanitarian in nature, without remuneration or any other type of compensation.  Examples of this are:

  • Volunteer hours required by a class for service learning.
  • Volunteering to help at a charitable event or for a non-profit company/organization
    • Tutoring in an afterschool program without pay
    • Volunteering at the Animal Rescue League

 In addition to applying for CPT prior to staring your internship, you and the organization for which you will volunteer should be familiar with the Department of Labor’s guidelines for an unpaid internship:

 “The Department of Labor's Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act, which addresses unpaid activity for both ‘for-profit’ and ‘public and non-profit’ entities.


  • Private sector for-profit entities
    • oThe internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
    • oThe internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
    • oThe intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
    • oThe employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern, and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
    • oThe intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
    • oThe employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship


  • Public sector and non-profit entities.  "Unpaid internships in the public sector and for non-profit charitable organizations, where the intern volunteers without expectation of compensation, are generally permissible. The fact sheet notes that wage and hour law makes special exceptions under certain circumstances for:
    • oIndividuals who volunteer to perform services for a state or local government agency;
    • oIndividuals who volunteer for humanitarian purposes for private non-profit food banks;
    • oIndividuals who volunteer their time, freely and without anticipation of compensation for religious, charitable, civic, or humanitarian purposes to non-profit organizations.

Again, if you are unsure if your opportunity meets these guidelines, please make an appointment with a student advisor in the International Center. 

*quoted material is from government regulation documents to include  those documents referenced within the text as well as The Code of Federal Regulations, The SEVP online DSO Training Site, and the NAFSA support document – NAFSA Advisor’s Manual.