Drake Wellness Center
Jana Peterson, Marty and Amy Wolff, (Biggest Loser contestants), and Johanna Determann at the Resolution Solution 2009 kick-off event.
113 Bell Center (1421 27th Street, Des Moines, IA 50311)
Drake Wellness provides programs for students, employees, and other members of the Drake community. Learn more about our ongoing and individualized programs and our employee-specific services.
- Events with an * denotes that pre-registration is necessary.
Hy-Vee Grocery Store Tours*
- Join Drake Wellness in a private tour of the Windsor Heights Hy-Vee. This tour will take you aisle by aisle led by the Hy-Vee dietitian. Find new possibilities for snacks and meals all with your health in mind. Space is limited. Reserve your spot in a session by contacting email@example.com. Sessions are Free.
- Session 1
- Wednesday, February 26
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Live Healthy Iowa*
- Do you have plans of getting more active or losing weight in 2014? If so, join Live Healthy Iowa under the Drake umbrella along with 2 - 10 other people. From January 27-April 4 you will be part of a statewide friendly competition to get active and lose (or maintain) weight. The cost of the program is $20. With the fee you will get a t-shirt, 1-year magazine subscription, discounts at businesses, chances to win prizes and much more. To get started: get a team formed and select a team captain - then contact Jana Peterson for more information. Visit the website for more details: Live Healthy Iowa.
- Dates - Janaury 27 - April 4
- Stay on track with your wellness initiatives with this new program that focuses on a topi a month. Sign up for 1 month or all 4! Everyone that participates will receive an information sheet along with a tracking sheet to record your monthly challenge. Please contact Jana Peterson for more details or to sign up.
- February- Fruit Round-Up
- March - Sit for 60, up for 3!
- April - Address the Stress!
- May - Water you drinking?
- Looking for a way to have fun, win prizes, and stay healthy during the end of the semester? If so, health bingo is the program for you! Complete a list of healthy challenges between a pre-determinded time frame at the end of the semester, and you will have the chance to win fantastic prizes during a fun game of healthy bingo! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up.
Wellness Seminar Series*
Come to one or all 3 sessions! During each session you will have the opportunity to hear local experts present on various wellness related topics. Please RSVP for the event email@example.com. You are encouraged to bring your own lunch for the noon sessions.
- 100% Pure Fruit - Tuesday, February 18 from 2:30 -3:30 pm in the Knapp Center Conference Room
Have you been curious about exotic fruits, wanted to try a new fruit, or feel like you need to add a variety of fruits into your diet? During this seminar you will be able to try new fruits, find out what fruits provide the best source of vitamins and explore your senses. Discover new options and ways to add a variety of colors to your diet.
- Sit Up, Stand UP - Thursday, March 13 from 10:00 -11:00 am in Olmsted CR 310-311
Do you find that after a day of work you have rarely gotten up to move or stretch? When you are on your way home in the evening does your body feel stiff and sore? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then it is time to learn how to Sit UP and STand Up during your workday. Lean how to exercise and stretch in your professional work attire. Discover convenient ways to add movement to your workday.
- Let's Talk About Stress - Wednedays, April 9 from 2:30 - 4:00 pm in Olmsted CR 312-313
The American Medical Association has noted that stress is the root cause of more than 60% of all human illness and disease. Also, stress is an inevitable part of life. During this seminar you will learn what stress does to your body and how to best respond to stressors.
Fit to be Tried*
Are you tired of doing the same exercises? Do you want more variety in your exercise plan? Have you ever wanted to do a triathlon? If you answered yes to any of these questions then this program is for you! This fitness incentive program is an ironman triathlon that you will complete over 6 weeks. A triathlon consists of swimming, biking and running/walking. Contact Johanna Determann to sign up or for more details.
- Dates: February 3 - March 14
Our goal is to design, develop, and administer a wellness program that is based on the needs and interests of the Drake students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to improving your personal wellness by offering a variety of services and information. We look forward to the opportunity to help you in your pursuit of a healthier lifestyle!
Jana Peterson, Director of Wellness
Johanna Determann, Assistant Director of Wellness