Drake Wellness Center
Jana Peterson, Marty and Amy Wolff, (Biggest Loser contestants), and Johanna Determann at the Resolution Solution 2009 kick-off event.
113 Bell Center (1421 27th Street, Des Moines, IA 50311)
Drake Wellness provides programs for students, employees, and other members of the Drake community. Learn more about our ongoing and individualized programs and our employee-specific services.
- Events with an * denotes that pre-registration is necessary.
Hy-Vee Grocery Store Tours*
- Join Drake Wellness in a private tour of the Windsor Heights Hy-Vee. This tour will take you aisle by aisle led by the Hy-Vee dietitian. Find new possibilities for snacks and meals all with your health in mind. Space is limited. Reserve your spot in a session by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. These sessions are Free.
- Session 1
- Tuesday, September 24
- 3:30 - 4:30 pm
- Session 2
- Tuesday, October 15
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- Want to be active and also use your mind to solve a murder mystery? You will be able to with the fun program, Murder Mystery. Sign up and each time you visit the Bell Center Monday - Friday during the month of October you will receive a clue to try to solve the mystery. Keep your clues to yourselves, if you solve the mystery you will have the opportunity to win a gift bag prize. For more information or to sign up email email@example.com. This program is Free.
Healthiest State Walk
- Join your colleagues and Iowans across the state for the third annual Healthiest State Walk on October 9. Take an active and short break during the afternoon to recharge yourself; you may be surprised how productive it makes you the rest of the day! Please register to be part of the Drake University walk. This will not only help us with numbers, but will make you eligible for great prizes, such as Hy-Veegift cards! We will meet at the main entrance of Old Main (south side) and start our campus walk. Refreshments will be provided.
- Wednesday, October 9
- 2:30 - 3:00
- Looking for a way to have fun, win prizes, and stay health during the holidays? If so, health bingo is the program for you! Complete a list of healthy challenges between Thanksgiving and Winter break, and you will have the chance to win fantastic prizes during a fun game of healthy bingo! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up.
Wellness Talk Series*
Come to one or all 3 sessions! During each session you will have the opportunity to hear local experts present on various wellness related topics. Please RSVP for the event email@example.com. You are encouraged to bring your own lunch for the noon sessions.
- Food Preservation 101 - Wednesday, September 11 from 12:15 - 1:00 pm in Olmsted CR 310-311
This seminar will be led by Mary Krisco, Nutrition and Health Specialist with ISU Extension and Outreach. Mary will provide guides and an overview on ways to preserve food - dehydrating, freezing, water-bath canning, pressure canning, pickling and jam making. You will find out the method that is best for you given the time, effort, money and storage space that each method requires. While this seminar is helpful and useful for anyone it may be particularly useful for gardeners or members of CSA's who may have a lot of produce.
- Myth Busting 101 - Wednesday, October 23 from 2:00 - 3:00 pm in Olmsted CR 310-311
There are many diets and fitness fads out there that claim to be the best for you and your health. This seminar will address some of the top health and fitness fads and bust through their myths. Learn what really works and what does not in regards to your own personal health and fitness.
- 101 Ways to Unwind - Thursday, December 5 from 12:15 - 1:00 pm in Olmsted CR 310-311
Do you find that it's difficult to relax or find time for yourself as the semester unfolds? There are many ways to unwind and Drake Wellness wants to help you find what works best for you. Join Drake Massage Therapist and yoga instructor, Erin Murphy, for a fun and relaxing seminar that will raise awareness of what you truly need to stay fit both mentally and physically. Erin will guide you through various activities that you can do throughout the day that will make you feel renewed and refreshed.
Our goal is to design, develop, and administer a wellness program that is based on the needs and interests of the Drake students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to improving your personal wellness by offering a variety of services and information. We look forward to the opportunity to help you in your pursuit of a healthier lifestyle!
Jana Peterson, Director of Wellness
Johanna Determann, Assistant Director of Wellness